Semonila/Rawa is a very important ingredient in indian cooking and finds it place in breakfast in different forms across various states in India. This is one of my favourite breakfast which I was introduced to by my mother-in-law. Maharashtrian families have a twist to Upma by making it slightly fluffier and soft and is called Sanjha. It looks and tastes very similar to Upma which is a common breakfast, but in case you are looking at a twist this could be it.
The Ingredients below are for 2 people.
- 100 gms semolina/rawa/sooji
- 1 small onion
- 2 med green chillies
- Half tablespoon ghee (clarified butter) or Vegetable Oil
- 5 gms Mustard seeds
- Curry Leaves
- Pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- Salt as per taste
- In ghee/oil temper some cumin seeds and mustard seeds along with chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Once cooked, add salt and pinch of asafoetida and turmeric.
- Add dry roasted Semolina/rawa (working ppl out there please spend 10 mins out of your weekend once a month to dry roast sooji and store it in an airtight box, you will thank me later).
- Add 1 cup of water to this and cook till the semolina has turned soft and aerated. There you go, simple #glutenfree and #vegan breakfast for family done under 15 mins and can be paired with Chai/coffee or Milk.
Happy Cooking! 😍 😚