Today’s breakfast from my #100healthybreakfasts series at home is Quick, Instant Mix Veggie Rawa Idli (Semolina Steamed Cakes) with Coconut and Coriander Chutney and Kara Podi with Chocolate Milk. As usual I was craving for some South Indian food and what better than something that instant and can be ready in no time thanks to the invention called microwave.
I know there are a number of arguments on use of microwave not being very good for health etc. but in case you are pressed for time and want to eat healthy rather than binging on street food, it is always better to rely on microwave for a quicker breakfast.
Ingredients for 2 people:
- 1 cup of rawa/sooji
- 1 cup of yoghurt (no flavoured yoghurt)
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup of mixed veggies – carrots, beans, green peas, green chillies
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of Urad dal and Chana Dal
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 4-5 cashew nuts (optional)
- Handful of curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Pinch of cooking soda/Eno/Fruit salt
- I soaked the rava/sooji/Semolina in curd (in the ratio of 1:1 cup). Added Salt and coriander to this mix. Let this rest for 10 mins
- Meanwhile in a non-stick pan fried some Ural dal, Chana dal, freshly grated ginger, cashews, curry leaves. This was added to the Semolina mixture after 10 minutes.
- At the end added cookinv soda (but because I didn’t have that, I added a packet of eno) and water to bring it to the consistency of an idli batter.
- Steamed these into idli moulds for 3 mins with little oil greased idli moulds in the microwave.
- And later served with the chutney and steaming hot mix veg sambhar.
This idli is instant and needs no fermentation making it a perfect last minute, weekend breakfast for someone like me who craves for something like this all of a sudden.