What better way to start your day than this humble plate of Kande Pohe (Flattened Rice with Onion) but just having simple kande pohe adds to just carbs in the body and no protein. That’s where I thought of giving it a healthy twist. Every Maharashtrian household has this as their breakfast atleast twice a week if not more. And why won’t we, given the simplicity of the dish and ease of preparing it. .
I add Batata (Marathi name for Potatoes), some Peas, and yes Kale Chane (Black Bengal Grams). I always keep pulses boiled in my fridge, in case you want to store them for longer, keep them in an air-tight container inside the freezer.
Ingredients for 2 people:
- 100gms of Flattened Rice
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 1 small potato – diced into small cubes
- 2 small green chillies
- 50gm of black Bengal gram (tinned or soaked overnight and boiled)
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- 5gms of mustard seeds
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- Salt as per taste
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard seeds for tempering along with chopped green chilli. Toss this for a min on medium heat
- Add the diced potatoes as they would need more time to get cooked. Toss this for 2 mins on medium heat and then add the chopped onions.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and let this cook under a cover for 5 mins
- Meanwhile wash the flattened rice well to remove all the starch and it will then turn to be super soft
- After 5 mins, add the poha to the pan and toss everything together carefully without turning this into a mushy thing
- Add the boiled Bengal gram to this and toss everything together
- Garnish this with coriander leaves and serve hot with Tea or coffee