I love Parsi food and especially if you have lived in Mumbai or Pune you would have spent considerable time at Parsi restaurants or shared a meal with your Parsi friends. They are the most fun loving people that I know and try to enjoy any occasion around them. Egg forms a very important part of their meals and have variety of fun recipes involving eggs.
This one is my my favourite as it is a perfect combination of carbs from potatoes and proteins from eggs giving a perfect start to the day. Pateta Par Edu literally means ‘Eggs’ = Edu on ‘Potatoes’ = Pateta. I always have a plan for all my meals in a week and meal prep few days in advance or a night in advance to avoid problems the next day morning. For this recipe similarly I have diced the potatoes and onions one night in advance and kept in air tight container.
The below recipe makes breakfast for 2 people:
- 1 large regular potato
- 1 small red or white onion
- 3/4 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- Salt and Pepper as per taste
- Coriander or parsley for garnishing
- In very little oil, sautéed the onions and cooked till they were translucent.
- Added the diced potatoes (if you want to cook them faster, cut them into smaller pieces).
- Seasoned this with salt and cooked it for 5 minutes under a cover and low flame.
- Once the Potatoes were cooked, broke two eggs on this and cooked them for 2 mins.
- And voila breakfast is served with hot hot Peruvian Coffee
Yes it is that easy a breakfast and literally anyone can make this because it requires no skill other than the skill of breaking the egg on the potatoes without breaking them else you would have to convert this to scrambled eggs with potatoes and caramelized onions.