While my husband loves his cakes and muffins on any day, I enjoy Parathas/Indian Flat Bread made out of different veggies and leafy vegetables. And yes, I have those lazy days too when I detest the idea of cooking a sabji and roti rather mixing the two and making paratha seems appealing to me. With such ideas, Palak Paratha | Spinach Flat Bread happens very regularly at our home.
Spinach (the greener the better) is generally found very fresh during winters in India but these days Spinach is available all around the year and are extremely versatile as a leafy vegetable. And don’t start me on the benefits.
Palak Paratha can be a breakfast/lunch or consumed for any meal. I generally prep the dough with spinach a night before if I want to make it for breakfast or carry along with me for lunch at work.
Ingredients for making 4 medium sized Parathas:
- Spinach Leaves – 2 cups – washed, cleaned
- Whole Wheat Atta – 2 cups
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Blanch the spinach leaves in warm water for 10 mins till they are sort of wilted and then blend them into a smooth paste
- Mix this with the whole wheat atta. Don’t add water as yet as spinach blend would contain a lot of water making your dough sloppy
- Add garam masala and salt to this dough and knead it well. Use food processor if available at home
- Divide the entire dough to 4 equal sizes and roll each other size to a roti/paratha and add this to the non-stick tava with oil brushed on both sides and cooked on medium flame for 2 mins on each side
- Serve hot with pickle, curd or ketchup.
During breakfast time I have scrambled egg of 1 egg along with the Palak Paratha for the protein intake along with carbs and my morning cuppa.
Happy Cooking! 💕