Mid week/Humpday Special breakfast for me has been Oats Upma filled with veggies and a Mug of Adrakwali Tea (Ginger Tea). I always try and use gluten free version of oats. Most of the brands assure that they are gluten free but reading the label helps choose the best variety.
This is a great twist to a non-Indian breakfast item by adding Indian spices and converting it to a spicy porridge.
Ingredients to make for 2 people:
- 1 Cup of rolled oats
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 cup of chopped carrots, beans and green peas
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- Handful of curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Salt as per taste
- In little ghee (clarified butter) I tempered mustard seeds, curry leaves.
- To this add chopped onions, carrots, beans, green peas and allowed this to cook through for 5 minutes under low heat.
- I generally dry roast oats before starting step 1 but if you like mushy and soft upma, then this step can be avoided.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the oats and little water to get this soft – regular upma consistency.
- Garnish iit with fresh coriander leaves and lemon wedges
Do share your favourite Oats recipe with me.
Happy Cooking! 😋