Oats are the easily the choice for breakfast these days but I am not someone who can have overnight oats or oats with milk for all days in the morning. I need variations in it and thus came up with this carb-protein perfectly balanced breakfast option called – Oats and Besan Chila. Chila is a common dish in North India made from Besan/Gram flour, but adding oats makes it carb rich.
Oats is among the healthiest grains on earth like the millets and are gluten-free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Most of the rolled oats available today in the market are not 100% gluten-free but please do check the label well before purchasing the same. Oats is good for weight loss, to control blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Ingredients for 4 chila:
- Gram Flour – half cup
- Oats Flour (grind the rolled oats to a fine flour) – half cup
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup of mixed veggies chopped finely – Capsicum, onion, chilli, tomatoes, coriander
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 2 teaspoon of oil
- Grated Cheese of any variety (optional)
- I mixed both flour with little water initially to avoid getting lumps.
- Once the mix was smooth added the veggies and seasoned it with some salt and turmeric just for color. Because gram flour is tough to be digested, added a pinch of asafoetida (hing) to this.
- On a non-stick pan added this batter like a dosa and grated some cheese on top.
- Serve hot with chutney or ketchup