This is my go-to breakfast option on days when I feel like eating south indian but also haven’t done any planning for it a day earlier. In Maharashtra it is called Dhirde or Neer Dosa made out of only rice flour – no fermentation, absolutely instant and ad-hoc like how my mood was today. This is my 4th addition to the #100healthybreakfasts series started by me on my Instagram page. Incase you haven’t visited it yet, please do follow me there under the name @theadventuresofahomecook
Although the Dhirde pancakes are popular in Maharashtra, you’d not find them on the menus of restaurants. Well, the reason behind this ignorance is quite simple and straight forward. It is not one of those dishes that you can make every day.
When you’re making it at home, you can also implement your own creativity in this recipe. For instance, you can simply replace rice flour with different flours or combination of flours. This way, you can feed more nutrients to your family without any complaints. You should serve Dhirde during the morning or evening snack time. The kids will just love it.
As far as condiments are concerned, it can be served with plain yogurt/dahi, thecha tomato sauce, spicy mayo or pudina chutney. All these combinations complement each other really well.
Ingredients for making 4 Neer Dosa/Dhirde:
- Rice Flour – 2 cups
- Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves – Half cup
- Chopped Green Chilli – 2
- Oil – 3 tablespoon (0.5 tablespoon per side of a dosa)
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander leaves, Mint Leaves and Grated Coconut – 1 cup each for the chutney
- For this all you need is to make a runny batter (more liquidy than dosa batter) with rice flour, chopped coriander leaves, green chillis and salt.
- Make it into crepes/dosa on a non-stick pan with not more than 4 drops of oil. I like mine little crispy and hence kept it on the pan little longer.
- And that chutney is made out of coriander and grated coconut blended into a smooth/coarse mixture as per preference.
- Perfect morning breakfast with my filter kaapi. .
Trust me on this, it literally takes only 15 mins for 4 dosas to be made and if you have a family of 4 then you may add some extra time to that or add the pans simultaneously on other burners.