Masoor Daal Tadka
Masoor Daal Tadka
Indian red lentils dal
- 250 gm red Lentils or Masoor daal
- 500 ml water
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely diced
- 2 green chilli chopped with seeds
- 5 tbsp sunflower oil divided
- 1 tsp cumin seeds divided
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida / hing
- 2 dried red chilli optional
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder optional
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- 15 g coriander chopped
- Wash the lentils under running water for a couple of times and let it soak with water for 30 mins to ensure faster cooking and better digestion.
- Meanwhile chop the onion, tomato, green chilli. In a pan add 2-3 tbsp oil and warm it up. Add ½ tsp cumin seeds and let it sizzle for a few seconds, follow this with chopped onion. Cook it for 5 mins on medium flame, till you see onions turn golden brown.
- Add 1 tsp of salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and green chilli to the pan and cook it for 2-3 more minutes.
- Now add the red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder and stir well. Keep cooking it on a medium flame for 2 more minutes and then add the chopped tomato. Cook the tomatoes for 5 more mins and they will start turning soft.
- Add the soaked lentils to the pan without the water used for soaking. Mix everything well. Add 240 ml water to the pan and increase the flame. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for a minute. Lower the heat, cover the pan and let it cook on a medium to low heat for 20 mins. Check on it occasionally and give it a stir.
- After 20 - 25 mins, you will see the lentils have cooked really well and have thickened. Add the garam masala to the pan and mix well. Add 240 ml water to give a thinner consistency to the daal. Let it simmer without the pan cover.
- Meanwhile grab another tiny pan for the tempering. In the pan add remaining oil, and once warm enough add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. Follow it up within a min with dried red chilli and some chilli powder (both optional). This step should take 3 mins and add this to the daal.
- Give it a good mix. Check for seasoning and add salt if needed. Add 1 tsp sugar and some fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve this with steamed rice or chapati (page xxx) and with a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon. Enjoy!