Recently I made pearl Millet/Jowar/Sorghum which is so high in fibre and yes instant variety of dosa as it needs no fermentation. The process is very similar to a normal dosa but the benefits are quite high making it a great substitute to the regular dosa for those looking for a healthier lifestyle.
Did you know Jowar or sorghum is rated among the top five healthy grains in the world. Steam it, boil it, use it in a stew, make a soup out of it; well this grain can be used in multiple ways rather than just grinding it to a flour. Pearl Millet was earlier used as animal feeds but recent studies have indicated the health benefits bringing it to human plate. Jowar could easily replace staple grains such as rice and wheat making for a gluten-free alternative.
Some top benefits of Jowar:
- The fibre content in Jowar could keep hunger pangs at bay by influencing satiety helping with losing weight.
- Jowar helps to regulate the bowel movements, boosts metabolism and averts issues like cramps, bloating, gas and stomach ache owing to its rich fibre content.
- Jowar contains magnesium, calcium and copper that is responsible for stronger bones and tissues amplifying the immunity to a great extent.
- Phytochemicals and plant sterols present in Jowar have shown to have hypocholesterolemic effect.
- The presence of antioxidants; in addition to nutrients like vitamin E and B, magnesium and iron, helps to avoid many cardiovascular conditions.
Ingredients for 2 people:
- Jowar Flour – 75gms (3/4th of a cup)
- Rice Flour – 25gms (1/4th of a cup)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Add rice flour to Jowar flour (in the ratio of Jowar:Rice = 2:1), salt and water to make a pancake/crepe consistency without any lumps.
- In a non-stick tawa, addthe flour mix like dosa and cook on both the sides.
- Serve hot with some chutney or pickle. The chutney here is made of chana dal/Garbanzo – Coconut Chutney with tempered curry leaves and mustard. The other chutney is the Flax Seeds Chutney with ghee (clarified butter).