Idli with Chutney or Sambar is my bae! Absolutely love soft, pillowy idlis/steamed rice cakes for breakfast with a mug of filter coffee. This has been an eternal love for as long as I remember.
Getting perfect idlis is not rocket science trust me, all that needs to be done, is the idli batter which becomes a challenge in colder temperatures. In case you live outside India where you are blessed you have cold temperatures for most part of the year like me then you need to find a warmer corner of the house like the heater room/oven/dishwasher just after it has washed and cleaned the utensils. Living outside India and still making Indian food at home which needs fermentation is like a challenge but a great challenge I say!
Ingredients to make Idli Batter:
- 3 cups rice, sona masuri / idli rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- ½ tsp methi / fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup thin poha / avalakki / beaten rice (for extra softness)
- salt to taste
- water for soaking
Method (1 cup =255 ml)
- Firstly, in a large bowl, soak 3 cups of rice and methi seeds for atleast 5 hours.
- Soak urad dal for 3 hours separately. Drain the water from urad dal and keep aside.
- Transfer the soaked urad dal into blender and blend to smooth and fluffy batter.
- Collect it into a large bowl and keep aside.
- Further, blend the soaked rice along with poha adding water if required. Transfer to the bowl of urad dal batter.
- Mix well making sure the batter has combined completely.
- Cover and ferment in a warm place for 8- 12 hours.
- The next day you can see the batter has raised well indicating its well fermented.
- Move the required batter in a different bowl and add salt to the batter and mix well.
Method to make Idli:
- Take the required batter in a different bowl and add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Grease the idli moulds with very little oil
- Add the batter to the moulds till the top and steam these idlis over gas steamer for 15 mins or in a microwave for 3 minutes
- To know if it is cooked, just prick a toothpick and if it comes out clean we are done else cook it for some more time.
- Let it rest once done for 5 mins. Serve hot with chutney or sambar or both.