Dhokla is a common food item in Gujarat and Maharashtra and an absolute must item weekly. The simplicity and nutritive value of the food makes it a soul food for most. This is one of the easiest brekkie and is filled with proteins out and out for all those looking for less carb meals.
It takes less than 15 mins to be prepared if you follow these easy steps.
- Gram Flour – 1 cup
- Rawa/ Sooji/Semolina – Half cup
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Pinch of Citric Acid
- 2 chopped green chilli
- Salt as per taste
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Cooking Soda/Fruit Soda
- 2 teaspoon oil
- Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Freshly grated coconut
- Sift 1 cup of besan and half cup of semolina , and make batter should be smooth and pouring consistency.
- Add salt, sugar, asafoetida, ginger, citric acid and green chilli, mix it well along with 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon oil. Set aside for 5 mins and then add ENO or cooking soda just before steaming.
- Grease the pan with oil and pour the batter. Spread equally with no lumps and steam it for 10 mins. To check if done, prick a toothpick or knife.
- Temper curry leaves, mustard seeds and green chillies and add it on the dhokla and some freshly grated coconut.
There can be several variations of Dhokla like whole moong dhokla or spinach dhokla. Do try this and the variations too.