Let me take you to the beaches of Goa where the sun shines always and the silver sand is by your feet. Have you already got transported? If yes, let me take you to their cuisine. Goan Chicken Xacuti is a spicy, tangy, savory dish which makes your mouth jump with several flavors at once. Xacuti also called as Shagoti in the local language Konkani is a complex flavored dish with white poppy seeds, sliced or grated coconut and large dried red chilies and is usually prepared with chicken or lamb.
Goa encompasses Portuguese dishes yet keeping true to its local tropical notes and flavors. It is the local flavor of tamarind and nuttiness of coconut and poppy seeds which bring such complexity to the dish. It is an easy dish to cook but I am sure it will take you back to Goa through your plate. You can make this dish with prawns
Without writing more about it, I want you to try this recipe now and let me know. Step by step recipe with photos are below:
For the marinade
- 50 g coriander
- 5 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 3 green rawit peppers roughly chopped
- 5 cm ginger root coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
For the spice paste
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp freshly grated coconut frozen, thawed
- 5 cloves
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tbsp white poppy seeds
- ½ star anise
- ½ mace
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet in cubes of 4 x 4 cm
- 7 tbsp sunflower or coconut oil
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 onion finely chopped
- 25 g coriander coarsely chopped
- Blend the ingredients for the marinade in a food processor or blender with 3 tablespoons of water to form a smooth paste. Mix the chicken with the marinade, cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the spice paste, heat 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry the onion and coconut grater, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. After 5-7 add the remaining ingredients and fry for 2 minutes. Blend everything in a food processor or blender with 3 tablespoons of water to a smooth paste.
- Heat 7 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the curry leaves and onion, stirring occasionally. After 5 minutes add the spice paste and fry for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken with the marinade and fry on all sides for 5 minutes. Lower the heat, add 250 milliliters of water and simmer the chicken with the lid on the pan for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the coriander. Delicious with rice, or serve with soft white balls.