This is my always go-to, mood lifting breakfast especially on Mondays or when I miss home and street food back in India. One thing good about India is that the food sold on the streets are quite cheap, maybe not very high quality but have a unique taste making one crave for them on certain days. And most definitely these items are never available at high end restaurants and if they are available they never taste the same. I made street-style Potato Sandwich toasted on pan instead of a regular griller. And yes it gets done obviously in less than 10 minutes 😎
Bombay Masala Sandwich is now like a brand of sandwiches available on the street across India not just in Mumbai. It is lattered with butter and boiled potato and mint chutney making it a perfect breakfast/snack item.
Ingredients for 2 sandwiches:
- 4 slices of brown/multigrain bread
- 1 medium sized potato – boiled and mashed
- Half cucumber sliced
- Half tomato sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ cup of Mint leaves
- ½ cup of coriander leaves
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- Pinch of pepper
- Salt as per taste
- I always boil and mash the potatoes seasoned it with salt, pepper and some chaat masala a night prior if I plan to make these sandwiches for breakfast.
- To avoid using mayo, I substitute it with mint and coriander chutney which is made by blending coriander and mint leaves with some salt into a think smooth chutney – don’t add more than 1 tablespoon of water else the chutney will turn into something very runny.
- I added the chutney on the slices of bread and added the mashed potatoes, slices of cucumber, tomato, onions. Seasoned this with salt and pepper if required.
- Added butter to both sides of the griller and the sandwich was grilled and ready to be consumed in 5 minutes.
I think what sets apart this sandwich is the chutney and the mashed potato mix and all those memories of eating them on the streets.