Beguni a.k.a aubergine pakora
Indian Aubergine Fritters a.k.a. Beguni recipe is adapted from my mum’s kitchen and watching her make this dish all those years growing up. Maa, I hope you are proud of me today! 🙂
I will give you 3 reasons why you should totally make this dish:
- It is vegan including the dip and the sauce
- Crunchy and a super easy dish to be assembled
- You need a substitute to those fries made of potatoes, don’t you?
- ¼ tsp nigella seed
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 1 aubergine in slices of ½ cm
- Mix the nigella seed, baking soda, turmeric powder, salt and sugar with the chickpea flour. Gradually add 60 milliliters of water and mix to a smooth, thick batter.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat to 175°C.
- Roll the aubergine slices in the batter and fry them in batches for 5-7 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve the aubergine fritters with the kasundi (mango mustard sauce) or tomato ketchup or just enjoy it with a cup of chai.